Yep, I’m speaking at Blog World LA this year. To make a long story short, after I spoke at Content Marketing World this past week, Deb Ng, who heads up the speaker side of the BWLA event (amongst her many other duties), immediately approached me with an offer on the spot. Needless to say, I happily accepted, and soon after I contemplated just how much this invitation told me about the true colors of the folks at BW.
A Hat Tip…
You see, if there was ever a person in the world that the folks at BW would probably like to stick it to it would be yours truly. For the few of you that are not aware, the day after Blog World New York this past May I wrote an article expressing my great displeasure with their final keynote ‘event’, calling their actions hypocritical and thus sparking a polarizing and heated conversation that was read by thousands and thousands of people across the blogosphere. Needless to say, the article likely didn’t help the BW brand.
Notwithstanding, just a few months later, I’ve now joined forces with BW in an effort to help them put on an awesome show that benefits bloggers from around the globe. This, in and of itself, says a lot about Rick Calvert and the rest of his crew, and tells me they are a ‘big picture’ organization, not allowing pride to deter them from putting the best product out there for attendees.
So, to Rick, Deb, and the rest of the gang at BW, I say ‘well done’.
But there are many other reasons (and people) as to why you should consider coming to Los Angeles in November. Here are my top 10:
1. The Power of ‘IRL’: Yep, there is something magical about ‘In Real Life’ that emails and skype chats just don’t offer. I found this out when I met my very close friends John Falchetto and Gini Dietrich at BWNY and saw it again while attending Content Marketing World.
For example, I had the opportunity to sit and chat with Deb Ng, Amy Porterfield, and Michael Stelzner (plus a few others) for hours on Wednesday night this past week. We literally talked about everything under the sun. Whether it was our kids, or religion, or 9/11, or blogging—you name it, we seemed to touch upon it in the time we spent together. Folks I’d hardly known hours before had become ‘friends’, and it was quite a choice experience. In fact, Michael Stelzner wrapped it up perfectly when he looked at the group at the end of the night and simply stated, “This is why I come to shows like this. There is nothing better than real life. Nothing better than this type of interaction.” Yep, Michael was right, and that’s what makes events like BW worth it.
2. The Inspiration of Getting Away: The best time to work ‘on’ your business (or blog) is when you’re not working ‘in’ your business. I’ve never attended a trade show or industry event in the last decade where I didn’t receive some type of thought or inspiration as to something I needed to be doing to make my business or life better. In fact, almost all of the greatest business and life decisions I’ve ever made have come from getting out of the grind and taking a step back. If you come to BWLA, you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about here.
3. Pat Flynn: Yep, Pat is from Smart Passive Income, one of the nicest and most successful guys online, is speaking at BWLA. Personally, I’m stoked to hear the guy speak and know he’s going to pour out a ton of value to attendees.
4. Derek Halpern: I’m sure most of you have heard of Derek from Social Triggers by this point, especially after our last discussion with him here on The Sales Lion about the importance of sidebars. Derek is original of thought. He doesn’t just accept the status quo. And that’s what makes him so valuable to attendees.
5. Jim Kukral: I just met Jim for the first time in Cleveland this past week but the guy is one heck of a speaker and entrepreneur, and he really gets business as well as internet marketing. Check out his site and you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about.
6. Jason Falls: I’ve always been a big fan of Jason’s, especially after his incredible session at BWNY, but this past week I got to sit and have lunch with the guy, and left even more impressed. Jason, who heads up Social Media Explorer, has the unique ability to speak powerfully, clearly, and with complete bluntness. Basically, it’s impossible to leave one of his seminars without a serious reality check and some motivation thrown in.
7. Kristi Hines: You know the blog, Kikolani, right? Kristi is adored by thousands in the blogosphere for her kind nature and excellent weekly content, and I’ve always been incredibly impressed by her ability to not only have a full-time ‘normal’ job, but also manage to run such an incredibly popular blog and community. (So if you’re reading this Kristi, let’s catch up in LA girl!)
8. CC Chapman: CC was another person I got to really know well this past week as we had dinner together. Not only is the author of Content Rules one of the nicest guys in the world (with a pretty stellar appetite 😉 ), but he understands the power of content as well as anyone out there, and has a lot of dang good things to say.
9. You’ve never been to Los Angeles before!: OK, so maybe you’ve been there, but I haven’t, and the town supposedly is kinda cool. 😉
10. Lions are awesome: Well they are, aren’t they?? 😉 But seriously, I’d love to meet some of you and chat in LA. As I mentioned above, there is something very powerful about meeting online friends in real life, and there are so many of you out there that have supported me over these last two years, and this is a great opportunity for us to finally get together.
So there you have it folks, 10 reasons why you should consider making the trip to BWLA this year. And in case you’re interested, I’ll be speaking on how businesses can dominate their niche by powerful and unique content marketing. It’s going to be an awesome class and I can assure you that if you attend, you’ll leave ready to run through walls and conquer the world. 🙂
OK, a couple of questions folks. Do you have any thoughts regarding the fact that BW invited a guy to speak who heavily criticized their last event? Also, if you’re going to BWLA, what are you looking most forward to? And finally, if you’d like to get together while I’m out there, please let me know!!!
Latest posts by Marcus Sheridan (see all)
- Using Video to Improve SEO and Inbound Marketing in 2017 - August 23, 2017